Saturday, November 14, 2009

"Simplify, simplify."

Henry David Thoreau said that more than a century ago. Now if only I could do it. I'd like to live more simply, like I said before... to own less and enjoy more. Before we were wed, I told Devoe I'd be happy to live in a shack as long as we have our love... and I stand by that. When it comes down to it, at the end of it all, all I truly do need is love. If I got to the end of this life and had a huge house full of nice things, the best cars, TV, Ipod, cell phone, gadgets, revered title and highest paying job, and the most beautiful plastic body, yet had no love, no one there for me to hold my hand and look into my eyes with care, then I'd have nothing.

Some tips for simplifying that I desire to live by:

1. Don't bring anything into your home that you don't absolutely love and plan to keep until it is beyond repair. (This means no compulsive spending.) Donate objects/clothing you haven't used in months. -TRY THIS: http://www.guynameddave.com/100-thing-challenge.html

2. Repair things... we have become such a throw-away society, where in many parts of the world, people must live on very little and fix and re-use over and over... our ancestors did that... less wasteful more grateful. (Some kids have NO shoes, I have about 30 pairs, time to stop and think.)

3. Allow time for quiet, to be alone with your own thoughts, soak in the moment, connect with nature, enjoy the little things, notice detail, smell and taste slowly, practice silence (as much as possible with a baby), meditate and breathe deeply.

4. Stay for an extended period of time in a foreign country once every few years in order to be refreshed and get out of mundane routine, gain gratitude and become inspired by learning and experiencing a new culture. It also teaches you to live in the present, a core part of living simply. (I know traveling can be expensive but you can also travel simply- I stayed in Europe for 2 months on about $35 per day-- this includes transport, shelter & food. Stay in hostels & don't buy lots of junk!)

5. Today is all you are guaranteed; try not to dwell in the past or worry about the future. You can only live in this day, one moment at a time. BE HERE NOW.

6. Forgive and make amends with as many people in your life as possible at this time. Resolve personal conflict with others quickly. Leave nothing unsaid nor allow bitter roots to grow and spread, this allows inner peace and depth in relationships to grow instead. More fulfilling relationships equals feeling less of a "need" for other means of "filling" yourself up like spending, or using food, drugs or alcohol. Honesty is a solid way to live, even if it hurts, it may or may not bring full resolution to every relationship, yet you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you expressed your heart and got the muck out that may have otherwise festered within you for years. Remember that you can change NO ONE but yourself, but also that your change may sometimes lead to others' change. No regrets = clearer mind = simpler life.

7. When's the last time you spent a whole day outside? Spend an entire day outside (morning to dark) at least once a month. It's amazing what a little sunshine, fresh air and activity can do to change your perspective and help you see the simple beauty of life.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree Tina with you Tina! I LOVE this post. I wish more people in this world were on the same train of thought as you :)

    ReplyDelete