As I watch a show about sheep being herded, I am reminded of 2 books I read a while back that had quite a bit of significance at the time, as I was also reading up on alot of Carl Jung's writings on synchronicity. One book was The Alchemist (a shepherd was in this book), the other, The Celestine Prophecy. Displayed in both books was this theory of things happening at certain times in perfect allignment or parallel to other events --- "coincidences" which have much more meaning than we realize, and are not so much of an accident as we might think. If your mind is prepared, open to, or seeking the meaning behind "chance" encounters, or everyday experiences/dreams/thoughts, then you will notice them more. This theory and these books opened my heart and eyes to a broader view of life/spirituality/religious experience.
Synchronicity--- "A term coined by Carl Jung to denote meaningful coincidence. Events bound by synchronicity are connected by similarity, by meaning, by resonance, rather than by causality. Synchronicity is an acausal connecting principle. Since it goes beyond causation, it goes beyond time and space, and is not limited by such relations."
Some Quotes I like on Syncronicity:
Synchronicity takes the coincidence of events in space and time as meaning something more than mere chance, namely, a peculiar interdependence of objective events among themselves as well as with the subjective (psychic) states of the observer or observers. ~ Carl Jung
Religion is a defense against the experience of God. ---Carl Jung
Mysterious coincidences cause the reconsideration of the inherent mystery that surrounds our individual lives on this planet. --James Redfield 1993. The Celestine Prophecy
Synchronistic events offer us perceptions that may be useful in our psychological and spiritual growth and may reveal to us, through intuitive knowledge, that our lives have meaning. --Jean Shinoda Bolen, MD, The Tao of Psychology, p.7
The intellect has little to do on the road to discovery. There comes a leap in consciousness, call it Intuition or what you will, the solution comes to you and you don't know how or why. --Albert Einstein
Coincidences are spiritual puns. --G.K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)
Chance favors the prepared mind. --Louis Pasteur
There is no such thing as chance; and what seem to us merest accident springs from the deepest source of destiny. --Friedrich Schiller (1759 - 1805)
Did blind chance know that there was light and what was its refraction, and fit the eyes of all creatures after the most curious manner to make use of it? These and other suchlike considerations, always have, and always will prevail with mankind, to believe that there is a Being who made all things, who has all things in his power, and who is therefore to be feared. ---Isaac Newton
--------- I tend to open myself up more naturally to people who are expressive of thier intuitions, dreams or spiritual experiences. I just seek to dig deeper and when I stray from doing this, I don't feel as whole as I do when I am focused on it... I have been distracted and have been living on a surface level, which bugs me about myself... I need to be seeking, for when I am not, I feel meaningless.... and I want to feel meaningful and remember how much I believe in. I believe there is so much meaning to our lives, experiences and chance meetings with others. Every passing person or day can change our lives in some way if we are open to them. There is also this movie that I love that displays these ideas (about the meaning of life) --> "I HEART HUCKABEES"
......The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances; if there is any reaction, both are transformed. ~C. G. Jung
Thursday, December 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment