
Our world is becoming ever more ABSTRACT. More and more jobs/ daily life/ routines are based upon computers/technology/ online EVERYTHING... shopping, banking, communicating/ photographing. Less actual, physical, tangible work. Go to your cubicle, sit and "work" for your paycheck... but when you must describe what it is that you "do all day" is it all pressing buttons? As decades pass, will we, as a society, lose our ability to use our hands/ bodies to do actual, physical work? Even writing a simple letter to a friend is too much of a task and of course waayyy too slow these days. We need everything NOW, FAST! As we seek faster technology, for more convenience, are we losing our appreciation for the simple things, taking the time to put some hard labor or just a little more time into our tasks? I saw a video on my friend Eric's blog about hand-painted advertisements on buildings. The good old brick painted signs. Men still do that, but vinyl banners are quicker and more efficient. I love seeing the old fading painted ads in cities. It sort of transports me to another time, back when we used our hands and bodies to get paid. I've had several jobs where I sat at a desk all day and typed, entered info, data, phones, spreadsheets, etc. And I've had some jobs where I moved and SWEAT a lot, folding clothes, organizing, cleaning, serving drinks, farming. Working on an organic farm was the most labor-intensive job I've had and I loved it. It was great to get dirty and need a shower after work; to have sweat dripping all day, and feel the work in my hands. To have sun on my face, breathe fresh air, keep moving and get exercise while getting paid. I saw a book the other day about how we are losing our sense of reality, getting lost in techno-world, as we rely more on computers. As our children grow, they will know more about computers/texting/etc than we ever have and more kids these days grow up more interested in video games and tv shows than playing outside in the woods. I remember learning to write cursive letters and practicing so diligently as a child, but I hardly use it anymore! People's handwriting is getting worse for lack of use. Texting is all the rage. I decided to start a project: I will begin writing letters by hand again. I love receiving snail mail from others, it's so personal knowing that they held it on the other side and took the time to sit and think of me. Hand-writing is SO RETRO now. Ha. Get ready for some mail :)
No comments:
Post a Comment