Friday, November 16, 2012
New York Life
We've now been in New York for about 7 months. The initial glaring culture shock has worn off, and by culture shock I mean the most culturally diverse city on Earth, as there are around 800 languages spoken here, and we're barraged by them every time we leave home. It's good for us, the change, the constant shifts of perception, being the minority race in our own neighborhood- I like it. It makes you see how different, yet how similar, humans from every background can be. Within 5 blocks of our home, there are over 15 places of varied worship/religious temples/churches/mosques. Every day at 1PM the mosque nearby has chanting/songs played through rooftop loudspeakers, often filling the air with an eerie sound, which I happen to enjoy because it reminds me of my dad when he used to describe living in Saudi Arabia (Air Force duty) when I was young... just the basic sounds of voices ascending and knowing that everyone nearby hears it simultaneously, whatever they are saying, it seems unifying in some way.
In all our lives, we have never been so aware of the color of our skin or race or financial status as we have since we moved here. It hits you everyday; the differences in culture, in how people talk, in body language, in educational levels, in general social movement about town and social circles/ scenes/ cliques. It's very blatant that everyone needs to belong somewhere, to be categorized or sorted into a particular group of people. Even the pre-schools have rigorous application processes & what preschool you attend can determine SO MUCH of the rest of your New York life. Most parents agree that it's pretty nuts, but they all fall in line because it's the only way to get up and in.
With my 3 year old, I have visited 21 different playgrounds in 7 months. She has met children from so many origins with such different families & made some really cute friends (whose parents are from England, Japan & Ireland). She adores her ballet class, the bookshops, museums & "her" library across the street~ she makes sure to tell people it's hers. We've all enjoyed the plethora of food from all over the world since we've been here: Tibetan, Polish, Spanish, Jamaican, Caribbean, Mexican, Korean, Thai, Mediterranean, Vietnamese, Middle Eastern, African, Italian, French, Indian, Japanese, Chinese, Vegetarian, Vegan, and so much more yet to be tasted. My child's tastebuds are partying & she has a far more sophisticated palate than I had before I was 20!
Yes, I love New York. There are up days and down days, but overall an exciting roller-coaster ride to enjoy for now!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Well done my darling.... :) I love visiting and enjoyed all activities we bravely experienced and will always cherish great memories made in NYC.... Love your hospitality free board and lodging not to mention free tour guide. :) See you soon.
ReplyDelete