On Christmas Eve we went for a hike in the redwoods to collect some greenery and we got inside a hollow tree. There I sniffed a leaf/branch/sap very deeply because it smelled so good, and its' vapor felt like it went straight up into my brain like menthol. It hurt like hot mustard or wasabi, and made my eyes water and I pulled off my hat and went running to get fresh air in my head because I had never felt anything burn straight up into my brain like that before! Later, at home, hubs roasted some chestnuts- the first time I'd ever had them, and they were delicious! I also made whole wheat sugar cookie dough but we didn't bake them until a few days later.
Christmas morning, we awoke at 7:30 and began opening gifts and stockings. Harmony also loaded many gifts into her stroller, pushing them around the house which made it take longer to open everything. Santa (hubs) filled my stocking very well with: tea infused chocolates, locally grown lavender massage oil (which begot a massage later), peppermint foot lotion, shortbread hazelnut cookies, cute bear salt & pepper shakers (which I'll probably put cinnamon and cocoa powder in for topping snacks & drinks), and the cutest shirt from our favorite local store, Idle Hands!
We went to our landlords' house to hang out with their family and drink sparkling cider and get yummy chocolate truffles that they made for us and Harmony's gift. Then I cooked a big meal while Jon watched Harmony. The vegetarian meal consisted of Curried Quinoa with walnuts, figs, coconut flakes, zucchini and cranberries; roasted butternut squash; steamed romanesco (cross between broccoli and cauliflower); fresh homemade orange zested cranberry sauce; figs and dates (baby's favorite snacks lately); and brie en croute with fig jam, raspberry preserves & orange marmalade. After eating, we watched a movie while baby napped. We then had our neighbors over (Harmony's best friend) for apple crisp (which was baked in the vintage pie pan hubs gave me that morning) and ice cream. Baby's friend gave her the sweetest ornament of a snowman and penguin hugging, which she loves talking to and playing with. Then we drove downtown and took a late night stroll to look at all the store window displays. It was a great, simple, relaxing, healthy, stress-free holiday; The perfect beginning to our own family holiday traditions.
Aw, love that picture of the girls!
ReplyDelete